Ayuntamiento de Palencia

What to see and do

Contenido: 

Palencia is a comparatively small city with a 100 % pedestrianised centre, so most important buildings and landmarks are within walking distance and visitors can enjoy them without being disturbed by noisy traffic.

Imagen imagen-plano-turisticoWe propose the visitor five walking routes (info in English and French) which will take them, among others,  to the folllowing must-see monuments and sights ( Download brochure ):

 

 THE CATHEDRAL: AN UNKNOWN BEAUTY

Imagen VIEW OF THE CATHEDRAL FROM INMACULADA SQUARE

Majestically erected in Plaza de la Inmaculada, the visitor is taken by surprise by the dimension and severity of its tower. The flying buttresses of its apse suggest us the presence of this temple from Santa Teresa and Jorge Manrique streets. This Cathedral is named The Unknown Beauty due to the remarkable amount and quality of the works kept inside, from Visigothic to Renaissance art.

Imagen Crypt of St. AntolinBuilt over some old places of worship, its origin is found in the Visigothic Crypt from the VIII century devoted to San Antolín, where the Saint’s relics rest nowadays. Legend has it that it was this very same cave  Sancho III, King of Navarre, found while trying to hunt a wild board. He was about to throw his spear against  the animal when he felt his arm paralysed and thus he noticed he was in a sacred placed and declared it so. That place is the present Crypt.

The Romanesque, three-nave Cathedral was consecrated in 1219 by the bishop Tello Téllez and some remains can still be observed. The construction of the new temple began in the XIV century and lasted for two more. It was honoured as a National Monument in 1929.

From the outside, its plain, 30 meter-high tower characterizes a temple that shows no main façade. The three naves design, similar to the one in Burgos, creates an inner atmosphere extraordinary beauty and immensity. The predominant verticality is only broken by the triforium.

Imagen View of the central naveUnder the Chorus, at the entrance to the Crypt, there is a remarkable Plateresque work in the bas-reliefs that show scenes from the life of king Sancho and the martyrdom of Santo Toribio. The Crypt is also a two-nave old temple, a Visigothic one from the VII century and a second, vaulted, Romanesque one from the XI century with earlier influences.

Two main doors can be observed while standing at Plaza de la Inmaculada, the one of “the Saviour” or “Door of the Newlyweds” and the one of “Santa Teresa” or “of the Bishop”. The former is a pointed, fully decorated one, while the latter is archivolted by a XVII century set of apostles plateresque style decorated who frame the shields of its patrons.

The door of “San Juan” or the “King’s Door” is a gothic, plateresque one that opens towards Plaza de Cervantes in which renaissance images of San Antolín, together with other Saints in their niches, can be observed.

The door that communicates the Cathedral with San Antolín and San Bernabé’s Hospital was erected in 1762 and hence, it was called “Door of the Hospital” or “Door of the Canonicals”.

The newest door, opened in 1980, communicates the temple with Plaza de San Antolín. Drafted in neoclassical style it was designed by Chueca Goitia.

The retrochoir, made by Juan de Ruesga, was ordered by Bishop Fonseca and consequently his shield lies under the arch of the Catholic King and Queen. The side parts of the choir are a masterpiece of Diego de Siloé. The Altar of the Saviour, which is surrounded by the Four Evangelists, is a work of Felipe de Vigarny and the Altar of the Saint Christ of the Battles was designed by Pedro de Guadalupe.

The choir presents the first walnut choir stalls by Luis Centellas. It was afterwards widened by Pedro de Guadalupe in the XVI century. The Side Chapel, forged by Sancho de Rojas in a pentagonal shape, is covered by ribs.

The Chancel, by Pedro de Guadalupe and Pedro Manso, contains sculptures by Felipe de Vigarny and Gregorio Hernández. Of great excellence are those graves belonging to the Abbot of Husillos and the Dean Enríquez.

Some of the benefactors of the Cathedral owned the chapel where they were buried. These locations were enriched with precious and altarpieces and now remain names as Santa Lucía, San Fernando, La Purísima, San Miguel, San Sebastián, and San Gregorio. The last one of these, hosts the best known altarpiece, the one consecrated to “The Miracle of St. Cosme and St. Damian”. Erected in 1533, it has been attributed to the disciples of Felipe de Vigarny.

Imagen Cristo del OteroCRISTO DEL OTERO

This imposing, 21 m high statue was made by Victorio Macho in 1931 on top of a knoll in the outskirts of the City, from where a superb panoramic view of Palencia can be enjoyed. It is said to be the biggest sculpture of its type in the world, just after the one in Rio de Janeiro.  Under the feet of the Christ, it was built the Chapel of Santa María del Otero where Victorio Macho was buried, according to his will.

 

  

Imagen foto-san-miguel-0SAN MIGUEL CHURCH

A magnificent Romanesque church from the 12th C. Legend has it that El Cid got married here. Upon request of King Fernando I and bishop Don Miro, a church was originally built in the beginning of the 11th century where the current St. Miguel is.  Its early Gothic tower has been used for both military and religious purposes and later restored in order to remove the reinforcements added after the earthquake in Lisbon in 1755. Together with a 15th century statue of Jesus Christ that occupies the centre of the main altar, old-gothic paintings that were recently discovered in its walls can be observed.  The church was awarded as a National Monument in 1931.

 

Imagen Main StreetCALLE MAYOR (MAIN STREET)

Those who come to Palencia will have the opportunity to stroll along our Calle Mayor. It is a one-kilometre-long street with a lively atmosphere and plenty of shops and bars, where visitors can relax while enjoying a great variety of tapas (snacks). It has an arcade on one side and quite a few interesting buildings, such as the Post Office, the Casa de Junco and the Casino.

Ayuntamiento de Palencia
Ayuntamiento de Palencia, 2014Plaza Mayor 1, Palencia, EspañaTlf: 979718100
logos
logos